January 25, 2012
I'll be honest with you..I find it so hard to keep this section up-to-date but I had to do something, my last entry was 2007 and alot has happened since then! So here goes! Plus I'm never sure whether to speak in first person or get very rock starish and speak of myself in third person..afterall its really just me, and well..me.
I had a great summer, and probably the best gig in the last 20 years! Seriously! I was part of the Harvest Fest 2011 which included headliners, Emmylou Harris, Daniel Lanois, Ray Lamontagne etc.I had noon set with the fabulous Brian Griffiths, and Pete Sisk on stand-up bass. We had a pretty good set, and a great day. All in all very successful.
By fall 2011, I was itching to put down my acoustic guitar for a wee rest and return to my kickass honkytonk roots so I formed the Nashville Rejects (Pete Sisk, Stephen Miller, Ted Hawkins). Our first gig was opening for rockabilly siren Rosie Flores..it was a ton of fun and I felt so free minus the guitar! I'm quickly working in my swank cowboy boots that I bought in Austin this summer!
Lori Breaks Out of Mommy Jail and Wins Big!!!
November 23, 2007
On Sunday Nov. 18/07 Lori won the coveted ''SONGWRITER OF THE YEAR" award at the 2007 Hamilton Music Awards, for her cd "The Book of Minerva". Other nominees were: Blackie and the Rodeo Kings, Jeremy Fisher, Rob Lamothe, Fred. J. Eaglesmith. All monster talents.
She also won: ALTERNATIVE COUNTRY RECORDING OF THE YEAR" for "The Book of Minerva". Other nominees were: J.P. Reimens & the Barflies, Scott Orr, Kim Koren, Michelle Titian. Again all monster talents with solid recordings.
CD Release Parties - Media Blitz!
September 24, 2007
Wow, these past two weeks have been a whirlwind leeading up to the official release of my new cd "The Book of Minerva" and its been fantastic, exhausing and very rewarding.
- David Baxter & I played a fantastic gig at the National Archives Library, Ottawa.
- Did a live taping of CBC "Fuse" with Wendy McNeill in the Ottawa studios. The show airs Sat. Sept. 22 @ 2:00 on Radio 1, 99.1, and on Sun. Sept. 23 @ 5:00 on Radio 2, 94.1.
- Featured articles in both The View Magazine, and on the cover of the Hamilton Spectator's GO Entertainment section (with a huge picture) on Thurs. Sept. 20.
- On air interview with Jim Marino CFMU and Lou Molinario C101.
- Very successful cd release party at the Casbah in Hamilton - standing room only. Musicians included: David Baxter, Lisa Winn, Carrie Ashworth, Linda Duemo, and Randall Hill.
- A "plug" promoting the Hamilton cd release on 820 CHAM The Ledgend.
- Very, very, successful (sold out before we started) cd release in Toronto at the Cameron House. Justin Rutledge got up to sing harmonies on "Simcoe". Musicians included: David Baxter, Lisa Winn, Victor Bateman, and Michelle Josef.
- A "plug" on CBC's Here and Now promoting the Toronto cd release. They played "Fire and Gasoline" on Sept. 21.
- Featured "Local Player" in Toronto's NOW Magazine, Thurs. Sept. 20.
- "Simcoe" lands in the #4 Spot on John Sakamoto's Anti-Hit List, The Toronto Star. Sept. 22.
- Cd review (Excellent rating: 4 out of 5) in the Ottawa Citizen, Sept. 23.
LORI YATES on CBC Vinyl Cafe this weekend!!!!!!!!!
May 31, 2007
The CBC Vinyl Cafe has chosen to feature "Far Away" from the new cd - The Book of Minerva as the last song of the show!
Sat. June 2rd @ 10a.m. on CBC radio two
Sun. June 3 @ 12noon on CBC radio one
Thurs. June 7 @ 11p.m. on CBC radio one
NEW CD: The Book of Minerva
April 5, 2007
My gorgeous new acoustic cd is back from the manufacturer's today! You'll soon be able to purchase it online at cdbaby or if you're in the Hammer, pop over to the house!
Tom Wilson, Justin Rutledge, Dottie Cormier, Bazil Donovan, Michell Josef, Kim Dellavedova
October 1, 2006
I'm thrilled about the guests who have agreed to sing on my songs. Tom Wilson is singing a duet with me on "You & Me, Maria". His voice is quiet and tremelous - absolutely great. Justin Rutledge has sang harmony on two songs - he has such a sad quality in his voice. No doubt he will be a huge star. Dottie Cormier also sings on two songs - she is the Dolly Parton of Canada, her voice just slays me. Bazil Donovan and Michelle Josef came in and played stand-up bass and snare on two songs - great feel. And Kim Dellavedova sang harmony on "Babydoll" she sounds like Concrete Blonde/Nina Simone, husky and beautiful. There's still some more friends to come, such little time.
Working Hard on CD
October 1, 2006
I spent most of August/September working hard on my new CD. Between recording at Chatham Gardens - Hamilton with Michael Birthelmer and Knob & Tube - Toronto with David Baxter. The results are great so far. I think its the first time I've actually been able to translate on to tape what I heard in my head. After our gig today, Baxter and I will head into Chatham Gardens (best vocal sound in the world) to re-cut 3 tunes. My time was a little wonky, and they're great songs so they deserve a second take. Baxter has been working his ass off for me and I really appreciate it - we're creating a beautiful work of art!
'Dicks in the studio
June 8, 2006
The Evelyn Dicks went in to record "I Want Your Money" a Buckshot Bebe composition. It turned out killer, Joe Mavety and Micheal Fonfara both play on the track.
The Evelyn Dicks
May 20, 2006
The recently formed Evelyn Dicks debuted at the Lula Lounge, Toronto as part of the Mamapooloza Festival. What a gas! Buckshot Bebe was Betty Boop gone bad and I was pure Hillbilly Trash. Chris Houston, Jimmy Vapid and Cleave Anderson got behind us and gave us a real good push! Big, big fun had by all.
Ontario Arts Council Grant
April 5, 2006
I was given a grant to record an acoustic cd. There is a God afterall, and did I mention I now love the Ontario Arts Council! I'll head back to Chatham Ave. studios to finish what I started.
Duet with Bazil
March 4, 2006
Bazil Donovan (Blue Rodeo) asked me to sing "Apt. #9" with him for his up-coming solo record.